The situation of Veneto, on the Adriatic coast of northern Italy, means it’s no surprise that seafood is a staple in the region’s cuisine. Beautiful island dwellings like Burano are known for their fishing communities which have developed over centuries and are now synonymous with a vibrant convivialità. The Laguna Veneta that surrounds Venice is an ecologically dense and diverse body of water which makes for rich pickings when it comes to i frutti di mare, quite literally, ‘the fruits of the sea’. From mussels and oysters to shrimps and squid all of these species thrive in this shoreside environment and have been used in Venetian cooking for hundreds of years. Local fishermen have honed their skills and developed new techniques to deliver these fresh delicacies to the homes and restaurants dotted along the Venetian Riviera.
This seafood linguine recipe will transport you to a sun-soaked Italian beach on one of Venice’s charming isolas or to a beautiful piazza overlooking one of the city’s many canals. This seafood sauce is best paired with a long, thick-stranded pasta and whilst in this recipe we use linguine if you want to create an even more authentic Venetian dish you could use Bigoli, a variety of pasta native to this region. The sauce is packed with gamberi and cozze - prawns and mussels - and the bold flavours of the shellfish are perfectly balanced out by the zingy lemon juice. And if you want to make fresh linguine from scratch, follow along with the video below as our Chef Roberta makes linguine.
Our tasty seafood linguine recipeServes 4
Prep Time: 20 minutes (excluding fresh pasta)
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
Calories per serving: 644 kcal
- 400g fresh linguine (see our fresh linguine pasta recipe)
- 500g mussels
- 250g whole raw prawns
- 6tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ red chilli, finely chopped
- 50ml white wine
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Small bunch fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Scrub the mussels in cold water, removing their beards and any barnacles. Discard any mussels that are already open
- Peel the prawns, removing the heads but leaving the tails
- Heat the olive oil in a large lidded saucepan and add the garlic and chilli
- After a couple of minutes (before the garlic starts to burn) add the mussels and the wine
- Cover the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the mussels start to open (discard any mussels that do not open after full cooking time)
- Meanwhile, cook the linguine in a pan of boiling water for 8 minutes or until al dente
- Add the prawns and cook for 5 minutes and then squeeze in the lemon juice
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the parsley, season to taste with salt and pepper
- Add the pasta to the pan with the shellfish sauce, combine well and serve immediately
How should I serve my seafood linguine?
The beauty of this dish is in its simplicity. It is a perfect stand-alone meal and doesn’t demand lots of accompaniments. However, if you’re looking for something to try with it then we recommend serving it up with a freshly cooked garlic ciabatta.
What wine should I pair with my seafood linguine?
This seafood linguine is perfectly complemented by a crisp white wine with mild fruity undertones. We recommend opening up a chilled bottle of your favourite Pinot Grigio to best enjoy this delicious meal.
For more ways to bring Veneto to your home this winter, be sure to stop by our Winter in Veneto page and order from our limited edition Venetian menu, available from 23rd-29th November. Will you be joining us on our winter trip to Italy? Be sure to share your holiday-at-home snaps on social media using #PastaEvangelists #ItalyatHome.
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.
Want even more pasta perks? Join our Pasta Club for free delivery and 15% off each dish. Pasta Club members also gain access to exclusive gifts and perks, as well as early access to Pasta Evangelists events and classes. Learn more about our pasta club today.