With miles of beautiful coastline in both the north and the south of the country, it is no surprise that Italy’s cuisine often involves seafood, or i frutti di mare (“the fruits of the sea”). From Liguria and Veneto in the North all the way to Sicily at the tip of the South, each region has its own special dishes made with the offerings of the ocean.
Today we’re bringing you a little taste of the Amalfi Coast, a stretch of shoreline in the region of Campania, known for its pastel hues and postcard-perfect towns. With vast swathes of sapphire ocean stretching as far as the horizon, it only makes sense that seafood plays a central role in the cuisine of the area. Another specialty of the Amalfi Coast are its lemons, this region boasts large, bright, zesty varieties the likes of which you’ll struggle to find anywhere else. In this recipe we combine these delicious citrus fruits with a selection of tasty morsels which could be found in a day’s catch by the fishermen of these small coastal towns.
This meal is simple and very quick to throw together, so pour yourself a tall glass of chilled white wine and follow our recipe below to be whisked away to warmer climes.
Make our Amalfi Lemon & Prawn Linguine
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes (not including making the fresh linguine)
Calories per serving: 505 kcal
- 400g fresh linguine (see our fresh pasta recipe to make your own)
- Extra virgin olive oil (about 2tbsp)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 500g prawns, peeled and roughly chopped
- Zest of ½ lemon, grated
- Generous handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Bring a pan of generously salted water to the boil and cook the linguine for 2 minutes if fresh (if you’re using dried pasta, cook for 2 minutes less than the advised time on the packet). Drain the pasta but reserve about 100ml of the cooking water and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a low heat. Add the garlic and the chilli and cook for two minutes, be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Turn up the heat and add the linguine and the 100ml pasta water to the pan with the garlic and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the prawns and stir them through, then remove the pan from the heat, the prawns will continue to cook. Add your grated lemon zest and your parsley and a drop more olive oil to the pan and stir through to create a creamy sauce.
- Serve immediately! Buon appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.
Want even more pasta perks? Join our Pasta Club for free delivery and 15% off each dish. Pasta Club members also gain access to exclusive gifts and perks, as well as early access to Pasta Evangelists events and classes. Learn more about our pasta club today.