Mushrooms take centre stage in many dishes from the alpine regions of northern Italy. Found growing in abundance in the dense woodlands which punctuate the rolling landscapes of Piedmont and Lombardy, varieties of fungi from porcini to chanterelles can be foraged year-round if you know where to look! Today’s creamy mushroom sauce is best enjoyed with long strands of pasta, perfect for wrapping up every last morsel on your plate! We’ve chosen linguine but any fresh variety of pasta will work, you could even try making your own with our recipe linked below.
Make our Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Calories per serving: 554kcal
- 400g fresh linguine (make your own with our fresh pasta recipe and video guide)
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 650g mixed mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 large shallot (or a medium onion), finely diced
- 1tbsp fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 1 glass (about 125ml) dry white wine
- 75ml double cream
- 50g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1tbsp butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil or parsley, to garnish
- Heat the oil and garlic in a large pan over a medium heat for about 2 minutes, be careful not to burn the garlic. Add the mushrooms, shallots and thyme and increase the heat a little.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring regularly, until the mushrooms are beginning to brown and any liquid in the pan has evaporated.
- Add the white wine to the pan and cook until it has reduced by about half.
- Cook your fresh linguine for about 3 minutes in a pan of boiling water with a pinch of salt. If you're using pasta from a packet, cook as per the instructions. When cooked, drain the pasta, reserving about 100ml of your cooking water.
- Stir the reserved pasta water into the pan with the mushrooms. Add your double cream, Parmesan, butter, salt and pepper.
- Transfer the pasta to the pan with the sauce and toss to coat each strand thoroughly.
- Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan and some fresh basil or parsley. Buon appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.