The San Marzano variety are some of Italy’s finest tomatoes, grown in the enchanting region of Campania, situated on Italy’s west coast. With a strong, sweet flavour these juicy treasures are used in many of the region’s staple dishes from the iconic Neapolitan pizza to a classic tomato sauce, known to Campanese natives simply as la salsa - meaning the sauce. We love the uncomplicated nature of this traditional sauce recipe, which uses only a small handful of ingredients, sourced at their absolute freshest, allowing our delicious tomatoes to take pride of place. Our favourite way to serve this sauce is with freshly prepared linguine, so that every last morsel of sauce clings to our ribbons of pasta.
Make Our Fresh Roasted Tomato Sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes (not including fresh pasta)
Cook Time: 1 hour
Calories per serving: 381kcal
- 500g fresh linguine (make your own following our simple recipe and video guide)
- 1kg vine-ripened San Marzano tomatoes, removed from vines and halved
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2tsp demerara sugar
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Handful fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250g fresh stracciatella, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Arrange your halved tomatoes facing upwards in a single layer in a large roasting tin.
- Push the crushed garlic in amongst the tomatoes, submerging it inside them where possible. Sprinkle over the sugar, salt and pepper.
- Spoon the tomato purée evenly over the roasting tin and finally drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast in the oven for about an hour until the tomatoes are soft and beginning to char in places. Check after 40 minutes to ensure you don’t burn the sauce.
- When cooked, scatter over the chopped basil and gently crush the tomatoes with a fork to form a lovely thick sauce.
- When the sauce is almost ready, bring a large pot of generously salted water to the boil. Cook your fresh linguine for 2-3 minutes, until al dente, or according to the packet instructions if your pasta is shop-bought.
- When cooked, drain the pasta and transfer to the tomato sauce. Toss gently to coat each strand and serve with gently torn fresh stracciatella. Buon appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.