Where better to take inspiration for this summer dish than the Amalfi Coast, one of Italy's most treasured sights, and proud home to one of the world's most coveted types of lemon. Limoni di Amalfi (Amalfi lemons) flourish in the sunkissed spring, where they are nurtured and adored by natives. The gorgeous Mediterranean climate renders deliciously perfumed lemons, that scent the coastal air. Known for its strong fragrance and flavour that is less acidic than other types of lemon, the behemoth Amalfi lemon grows on orchards that teeter on the edge of the stunning cliffs. The fruit is so sublime, indeed, that it can be consumed in its entirety, the pith and rind significantly less bitter than other varieties of the citrus.
A staple of summer al fresco dining, pasta al limone blends the famed export with cream and butter, yielding a sumptuous yet bright pasta dish. We pair this luscious sauce with fresh ribbons of tagliatelle, the golden tangles capable of sopping up every drop of creamy, lemony goodness. We challenge you to find a dish more emblematic of summertime on the Sorrentine peninsula than our tagliatelle al limone.
Our Summer Tagliatelle al Limone Recipe
Prep time: 60 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Calories per serving: 458 kcal
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 250ml heavy cream
- 75g unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 400g Fresh tagliatelle - for ingredients, see our recipe here.
- Prepare your ribbons of fresh tagliatelle using this simple recipe or by following the video below.
- Once your pasta is prepared, take a large pan and set it over medium heat. Add the unsalted butter, and gently heat until fully melted, and beginning to foam. Then, add the lemon juice and zest, and continue to cook until fragrant - allow enough time here for the zest to infuse, rendering a deliciously lemony butter.
- Add the cream to the mixture and stir until well combined. Taste and season accordingly with salt and pepper.
- Heat a pot of generously salted water until boiling, before adding your fresh tagliatelle. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until al dente. Once cooked, strain the pasta, ensuring to reserve a little bit of the starchy cooking water.
- Add the pasta to the pan with the lemon sauce, and gently toss to combine. Add as much or as little pasta water as is needed to achieve a luscious sauce, that clings to every strand of the tagliatelle.
- Once fully coated and glossy, plate your pasta, and garnish with a healthy dose of grated Italian hard cheese - buon appetito.
What better way to complete this homage to the Amalfi Coast, than with a delicious Malfy Gin spritz? Creamy tangles of citrusy pasta, plus fresh Malfy gin and fizz, equals instant (vicarious) transportation to the coastal haven! For more ways to bring the Amalfi Coast to your home this summer, be sure to stop by our ‘Visit Amalfi’ page, or order from our limited edition Campania menu, available from the 8th - 14th June.
Will you be joining us on our trip to Amalfi? Be sure to share your holiday-at-home snaps on social media using #PastaEvangelists #ItalyatHome.
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.
Want even more pasta perks? Subscribers receive new recipes to try each week, with free delivery and 15% off each dish. Subscribers also gain access to exclusive gifts and perks, as well as early access to Pasta Evangelists events and classes.