We could all use a little boost to the immune system every now and then and our super green, vegan orecchiette recipe is just the trick. Prepared in a matter of moments, this vibrant pasta sauce is both nutritious and delicious, the perfect combination to invigorate and energise you for the afternoon ahead. This sauce is packed with superfood goodness from iron-rich spinaci to maximise the flow of blood around your body, to protein-filled pine nuts to keep your energy levels high. Try our easy recipe today to bring your lunchtime to life.
Make our Delicious, Super Green, Vegan Orecchiette
Prep Time: 15 minutes (not including preparation of the orecchiette)
Calories per serving: 915 kcal
- 280g fresh orecchiette (follow our simple guide to make your own, or follow along as Roberta makes orecchiette in the video below)
For the sauce:
- 1 avocado
- 100g baby spinach
- Small handful fresh basil
- Small handful fresh mint
- Juice and zest of half a lemon
- 2 small cloves garlic, crushed
- 50g Pine nuts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the pangrattato:
- 2 slices bread, crusts removed
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- Small handful of parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients for the sauce in a blender or food processor and whizz until they’re thoroughly mixed together. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside until you’re ready to add to the pasta.
- In a clean food processor, blitz the bread to form breadcrumbs.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the garlic for a minute, make sure it doesn’t burn. Then add the breadcrumbs to the pan and cook for a few minutes until they are crispy and golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir through the chilli flakes, lemon zest and fresh parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Put your fresh orecchiette in the pan and cook for about 3 minutes until al dente. Drain the pasta and transfer to the bowl with the green sauce in. Toss gently to ensure each piece of pasta is coated.
- Sprinkle over your homemade pangrattato and serve immediately. Buon appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.