Native to Puglia, capunti are short pasta pieces that resemble empty pea pods, and they are one of our head chef's favourite shapes. Roberta selected this beautiful pasta variety for her recipe, and we love the way the dips in the capunti capture every last morsel of this tasty sauce, but you can use any sort of short pasta that you like to make this dish. Served in a rich, cheesy sauce with delicious pieces of pancetta and a generous smattering of fresh rosemary, this recipe is very simple to make but stunning to devour. We promise you'll be transported to sunny Puglia with every moreish mouthful…
Make Roberta’s Pecorino, Pancetta & Rosemary Sauce
Prep Time: 20 Minutes (not including fresh pasta prep time)
Calories per serving: 1240 kcal
- 300g short pasta (to make your own follow Roberta’s step-by-step video guide)
- 100g pecorino cheese, grated
- 200g unsmoked pancetta
- 1tsp corn flour
- 200ml milk
- 20g butter
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- Generous handful fresh rosemary leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan. Cut the pancetta into small cubes and add to the pan with the peeled cloves of garlic. Keep the heat low and fry for 8-10 minutes, removing from the heat when the pancetta is crispy.
- Meanwhile, slowly heat the milk in a separate saucepan with the corn flour, allowing it to dissolve completely.
- Melt the butter in a bain-marie and then add this to the pan with the milk and flour, stirring together to form a smooth mixture with no lumps.
- Add the grated pecorino cheese, salt and pepper to the pan and mix together thoroughly.
- Remove the cloves of garlic from the pancetta pan and place it back on a very low heat after several moments of resting. Add the milk and cheese mixture to the pancetta - keeping the heat very low so the mixture doesn’t separate - and stir it together.
- Cook your pasta in a pan of boiling salted water as per the instructions. When the pasta is ready transfer to the sauce and toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle over your fresh rosemary to taste and serve immediately. Buon appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.