If you’re looking for a new way to elevate your bread-baking habits, then look no further. Bread, like many things, always tastes better in Italy and this focaccia will transport you to the beautiful Mediterranean coast of Genoa in the north west corner of the country. Adorned with fresh sprigs of rosemary, there are few more delectable treats than this. Contrary to what many people believe, focaccia is actually incredibly simple to make, so why not treat yourself and try out this recipe?
Make our Easy Rosemary Focaccia
Prep Time: 2 hours (including proving time)
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 500g strong bread flour
- 7g dried fast action yeast (1 sachet)
- 2tsp salt
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 400ml lukewarm water
- 1tsp flaked sea salt
- small bunch of rosemary, leaves picked
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and add the yeast and the salt. Combine thoroughly.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add about 2tbsp of your olive oil and 400ml lukewarm water, pouring it in gradually to create a sticky dough. (You may not need all of the water)
- Lightly flour a clean work surface and place the dough in the middle. Knead vigorously for 5-10 minutes (add more flour as you go to prevent sticking). The dough should become soft and smooth.
- Cover the dough in a bowl and leave to prove for about an hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Grease a shallow roasting tin with a little oil. Stretch the dough to fill the tin. Cover with a tea towel and allow to rest for another 45 minutes.
- Heat your oven to 220°C (200°C in a fan oven).
- Push your fingers into the risen dough in the tin to make dimples. Mix 1½tbsp olive oil with 1tbsp water and the tsp of flaked sea salt. Drizzle this mixture over the dough evenly and scatter over the rosemary, pushing the leaves into the dimples.
- Bake your focaccia for about 20 minutes until golden and then drizzle over the last of the olive oil. Divide into squares and serve warm. Buon appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.