Whilst this plant-based lasagne cannot be considered traditional, it certainly packs a lot of flavour, we would be surprised if your dinner guests could tell it was vegan! The robust and wintry flavour of the vegan kale pesto when combined with the creamy bechamel and a nutty hint of pine nuts is a sensory delight. And what’s more, this scrumptious meal couldn't be easier to prepare. Follow our simple recipe and video with Chef Roberta below for a stress-free culinary experience.
How to make our tasty vegan lasagneServes 4
Prep Time: 1.5-2 hours (including making pesto, bechamel, pasta and assembling)
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Calories per serving: 985 kcal
500ml Vegan bechamel
12 fresh lasagne sheets made with vegan dough (pasta bianca)
85g vegan cheese, grated
50g pine nuts
Large bowl with ice cold water
Large sauce pot
Oven proof dish
Cook the Lasagne Sheets
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to boil, as Chef Roberta says, “we want the water to taste like the Mediterranean Sea!”.
- Cook the lasagne sheets a few at a time (around 1-3) for 1 minute, transfer to ice cold water to stop the lasagne sheet from cooking further
- Then transfer onto a clean cloth or tea towel on a flat surface to allow to dry a little.
Assembling the Lasagne
Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan)
- Using a large spoon or spatula, scoop a good amount of pesto and spread at the bottom of the lasagne dish.
- Add a few generous spoonfuls of the vegan bechamel (2-3 tablespoons) mix together roughly with the back of a spoon so it’s nice an amalgamated with the pesto.
- Next, layer 1-2 sheets on top of this mixture, don’t worry about overlapping too much but otherwise just use a sharp knife to trim the lasagne sheet to size.
- For the next layer, the order is the same: pesto first, then bechamel, however, this time sprinkle over a few pine nuts and some vegan cheese (don’t be shy with the cheese!). *Chef’s tip: toast the pine nuts lightly in a dry frying pan beforehand to intensify the flavour.
- Continue in this order: pesto, bechamel, pine nuts, cheese, lasagne sheet etc. for a further 5 or 6 layers, or until the pesto and béchamel are used up!
- The top layer of the lasagne should be pesto, bechamel, cheese (lots!) and pine nuts.
- Place in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes. Buon Appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.
Want even more pasta perks? Join our Pasta Club for free delivery and 15% off each dish. Pasta Club members also gain access to exclusive gifts and perks, as well as early access to Pasta Evangelists events and classes. Learn more about our pasta club today.