Bechamel is the creamy base of so many delicious recipes, particularly lasagne. This simple yet effective recipe is perfect vegan substitute for any recipe requiring bechamel without compromising on taste or texture! Be sure to add in the grated nutmeg for that iconic bechamel flavour!
Follow along with Chef Roberta to guide you to vegan bechamel perfection!
How to make vegan bechamel
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Yields around 500ml (5 servings)
Calories per 100ml serving: 102kcal
- Wax paper (if making ahead of time)
- 3 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 475ml non-dairy milk warmed (we use Rice milk)
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Melt butter the vegan butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Using a whisk, slowly incorporate the flour until it begins to thicken and bubble which should be around 2 minutes. However, be sure not to brown the sauce.
- Pour warm alternative milk in the pan and continue to whisk until sauce is thickened (approx. 3 minutes).
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to the pan and stir to combine.
- Use immediately. Or, if making ahead of time, place wax paper over the bechamel so that it will prevent a skin from forming. *Chef's Tip: when reheating, be sure to only warm through, on a low heat - avoid boiling.
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.