Gorgonzola is one of the most ancient varieties of blue-veined cheese in the world and originates, so legend has it, from the town of its namesake in the northern Italian region of Lombardy. Some claims even date the conception of this delicacy back to the late ninth century, making it older than Castello Sforzesco, another exceptional piece of Lombardian history. Situated on the Naviglio della Martesana, Gorgonzola is a beautiful town with remnants of its medieval history still evident in small, tucked-away streets which are almost entirely conceded to pedestrians, and certainly worth a wander.
Whilst Gorgonzola is delightful enjoyed on its own, we have found that it is even more delicious when incorporated into a rich, creamy pasta sauce, where you can savour the blue ripples running throughout. We love to serve this tangy Gorgonzola sauce with soft gnocchi dumplings or, if we’re feeling truly decadent, with strands of tagliatelle al cacao. For the ultimate indulgence, garnish with a sprinkling of walnuts to finish off the dish. Let us transport you, with this recipe, to a winter’s evening spent gazing down the moonlit canal in the historic Italian town which inspired this dish.
Make Our Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce
Preparation Time: 15 minutes (not including pasta)
Calories per serving: 355 kcal
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 200g Gorgonzola dolce cheese
- 2tsp plain flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 25g chopped hazelnuts, to serve
- Parmigiano Reggiano, grated, to serve
Note: If you’re planning to make your own gnocchi from scratch, follow our simple guide and prepare your dumplings before you start making the sauce.
- To begin, heat the mascarpone cheese in a large saucepan over a low-medium heat until it begins to thin.
- Cut the gorgonzola cheese into small cubes and add to the pan, stirring until it has all melted and combined with the mascarpone.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the flour, ensuring there are no lumps in the sauce. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cook the sauce for 2-3 minutes more, stirring regularly, until it is thick and glossy.
- Turn off the heat and cover the pan until you’re ready to serve your sauce.
- When the pasta is ready, pour the sauce over, toss gently to ensure each piece is well coated and then sprinkle over your chopped hazelnuts and a little Parmigiano Reggiano. Buon appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.