Shaped like little springs, fusilli is a type of pasta universally loved for its form and texture. Fusilli’s linguistic origins lie in the Italian word fuso - meaning spun - as this shape is traditionally constructed by rolling pasta dough around a thin rod or skewer. Although there can be many variations on this pasta, two main types dominate the culinary scene: fusilli lunghi (long fusilli) and fusilli bucati (short fusilli). In the United States, the latter shape is often used synonymously to describe rotini, which, although similar in appearance, is typically extruded into a twisted shape rather than hand-rolled.
Fusilli’s distinct curvature means that it profits from almost any type of flavoursome coating; from our much-loved pesto alla Genovese to the unashamed indulgence of our creamy Gorgonzola sauce, this shape delights in bringing flavour with every bite.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Calories per serving: 232 kcal
- 200g semolina flour or durum wheat flour
- 100ml warm water
- Pinch of salt
- Rolling pin
- Small, sharp knife
- Skewer (or even a knitting needle!)
If you need a little guidance on how to make the dough, follow along with Chef Roberta as she takes you through the process, step by step.
- Mix 100ml of water with 200g of semolina or durum wheat flour. Knead for about 5-10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Cover with a tea towel or plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin, roll your dough out until it is about the thickness of a 2p coin.
- Using a small knife, cut your dough into lengths around 20-30cm long with a width of 1cm.
- Roll each strip around a skewer or any other thin, long utensil. It should look like curly hair! You can let it dry for up to 2 hours or cook immediately.
- Slide the fusilli off the end of the skewer.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Salt when bubbling. Add your fusilli and cook for 2-3 minutes or until al dente.
- Serve with your favourite sauce and enjoy. Buon appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.