We’re celebrating the start of summer with our delicious aubergine pasta salad. Aubergine has been used in Italian cooking for centuries, with records dating back to the Roman era, when this shiny, purple vegetable first appeared on the continent. Whilst the aubergine has become a staple in the culinary traditions of southern regions like Sicily - known for its iconic alla norma sauce - at first Italians were somewhat suspicious of this new and peculiar-looking fruit. Named melanzana, meaning ‘apple of insanity’, it took some time before people came to appreciate the health-giving properties of this versatile, vitamin-rich veggie.
We give our salad that distinctive summer feel by roasting our aubergines until they are full of flavour and tender enough to melt into our tangy yoghurt dressing.
Make our Aubergine Pasta Salad
Prep time: 45 minutes
Calories per serving: 477kcal
- 1 aubergine, diced into small pieces
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or whole
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 350g penne (or any dried pasta)
- 200ml Greek yoghurt
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Pinch fresh mint, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan). Chop your aubergine into small cubes and place on a baking tray. Drizzle over the olive oil, salt, pepper and chilli flakes, toss the aubergine to ensure each piece is evenly coated. Peel your garlic cloves and place them whole on the tray with the aubergine or crush them over the aubergine for a more intense flavour. Roast the aubergine for 30 minutes, removing from the oven after 15 minutes to turn the pieces over to prevent sticking. When the aubergine is cooked, allow it to cool a little before serving.
- Whilst the aubergine roasts, cook the penne in a pan of boiling, salted water, as per the packet instructions. When cooked, drain the pasta and rinse with cold water to cool.
- Combine the greek yoghurt and lemon juice in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper to taste. When the pasta and aubergine have cooled, transfer to the yoghurt and toss to coat each piece thoroughly.
- Sprinkle over the mint and serve the salad chilled. Buon appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.