We’re dreaming of sunny afternoons spent soaking up rays in the Sicilian seaside city of Trapani. The light glistens over the ocean, casting a magical glow over the white sandy beaches, whilst locals and holiday-makers alike stroll through the beautiful streets. This town boasts many amazing restaurants and every street is filled with local trattorie. If you happen to stumble into one such establishment, you will almost definitely find pesto alla Trapanese on the menu. This is a Sicilian delicacy, often served with busiate - a pasta type that is typical of this region - and the pairing is spectacular. Made with almonds, datterini tomatoes and fresh basil this pesto is a celebration of Sicily itself, combining some of the island's most iconic flavours. Roberta fondly remembers this dish from her childhood holidays spent in Sicily and it is still one of her favourite pestos to make today! Why not give her recipe a try?
Make Roberta’s Pesto alla Trapanese
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Calories per serving: 522 kcal
- 180g blanched almonds
- 10 ripe Datterino or San Marzano tomatoes
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 6tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 4tbsp Pecorino cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Soak the tomatoes in a bowl of boiling water for about 5 minutes to soften the skin. Score with a knife and then peel the tomatoes to remove all of the skin.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Blitz until the ingredients are mixed and have formed a paste.
- Cook your pasta and transfer to the pesto, toss thoroughly to coat each piece and serve immediately, buon appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.