Our head chef Roberta has a bit of a sweet tooth, and she’s always whipping up delicious dolce inspired by her childhood in Italy! Today’s recipe is a traditional dessert often served up for special occasions, like Carnevale or Christmas Eve, but we’ve found you don’t need an excuse to enjoy these decadent frittelle! These tasty morsels are a type of sweet bread that are deep-fried and best enjoyed fresh, and we simply can’t resist them!
Make Roberta’s Delicious Frittelle
Prep time: 1½ hours
Calories per serving: 531 kcal
- 3 medium eggs
- 150g granulated sugar
- 250ml whole milk
- 60ml rum
- 3.5g (half a sachet) active yeast
- 2 lemons, zested
- 50g ricotta cheese
- 500g flour, sifted
- 200ml sunflower oil (for frying)
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Lightly beat eggs in a large bowl. Add the sugar and combine well.
- Pour in the milk and the rum and stir in the ricotta cheese. Add the yeast and mix it thoroughly into the liquid.
- Now add the lemon zest and a small pinch of salt. Gradually add the sifted flour and mix well.
- Cover the batter with a tea towel and let it rest for an hour at room temperature.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large pan or skillet (there should be enough to almost submerge the frittelle). The temperature of the oil should be about 160°C.
- Drop a spoonful of batter into the oil (be careful not to burn yourself as the oil may splash). Repeat this four or five times (depending on the size of your pan).
- Cook your frittelle in small batches, be careful not to put too many into the pan at once.
- Rotate each ball of batter to ensure even cooking. When they have turned a golden brown colour, remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon and place on some kitchen roll to absorb the excess oil, patting them down gently.
- Sprinkle a little icing sugar over your frittelle and serve them while they're still warm! Buon appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.