From Vin Brulé, the Italian mulled wine, to bottles of chilled Prosecco and Lambrusco, festive feasting in il bel paese is incomplete without the accompaniment of the perfect beverage. To help you wow your guests this festive season, we’ve compiled a guide to some of our favourite Italian drinks, complete with cocktail recipes.
With food and drink at the heart of many Italian celebrations, Christmas is no different and often weeks of preparation go into hosting the perfect holiday gathering. When welcoming guests into your home it is very important that you offer them special refreshments over the Christmas period and keeping a fully stocked drinks cupboard is essential to facilitating this hospitality.
A Drink as Warming as the Winter Fire
Nothing says Christmas quite like the divine scent of cinnamon and cloves hanging heavy in the air, emanating from a gigantic pan filled with warm, crimson wine, the occasional slice of orange basking on the surface. To cast this festive spell in your own home, follow our delicious Vin Brulé Recipe.
Festivities must have Fizz!
No festive celebration is complete without sparkling wine, and whilst Prosecco is the most well-known Italian variety, each region of the country boasts its own variant and we recommend that you branch out and try something new!
- Lambrusco - Lambrusco refers both to a variety of Italian red grape and to the sparkling red wine which is derived from it. This deliciously fruity vino is particularly popular in the region of Emilia-Romagna where it has an exceptionally long and rich history.
- Asti - Originating from Piedmont, Asti is a sweet sparkling wine that is often served alongside dessert or dolce.
- Franciacorta - A Lombard classic Franciacorta is made using the same method that is used in France to make Champagne and the bubbles are introduced through a process of fermentation.
- Prosecco - Forming the base of many Italian cocktails and widely enjoyed in its own right, Prosecco comes from Veneto and is popular across the globe.
If you want to mix things up a bit - literally - then we suggest serving some classic Italian cocktails. With minimal preparation time these drinks are the perfect way to introduce a little italianità to your party.
- To transport your guests to the moonlit canals of Venice, we suggest serving up a Peach Bellini.
- For a taste of Florence a known hub for style and sophistication, why not make a classic Negroni or try your hand at the Negroni Sbagliato.
- Add a little spark to your soirée with the smooth temptation of a Milano-Torino.
- Explore Emilia-Romagna vicariously and experiment with some of our favourite Lambrusco cocktail recipes.
For wine inspired recipes, check out our wine pairing wheel for pasta pairing perfection.
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.
Want even more pasta perks? Join our Pasta Club for free delivery and 15% off each dish. Pasta Club members also gain access to exclusive gifts and perks, as well as early access to Pasta Evangelists events and classes. Learn more about our pasta club today.