Since its coffee-centric inception, tiramisù has become a leitmotif of Northern Italian gastronomy, particularly in the domain of dolce, or desserts. Originating from Treviso, a city in the region of Veneto, the name is derived from the traditional dialect where ‘tireme su’ means ‘pick me up’, and we can’t help but agree that this tasty treat does exactly what it’s name promises. First created as a nineteenth century aphrodisiac by the maîtresse of a house of pleasure, tiramisù quickly became a popular dessert enjoyed by the social elite, despite its somewhat risqué origin story.
Combining creamy mascarpone cheese, an enriched coffee mixture and deliciously smooth dark chocolate, this decadent dolce is sure to make you feel merry on a cold winter evening. Follow our foolproof recipe to be whisked away to the moonlit canals of Venice with this indulgent tiramisù.
Make our Tiramisù
Prep Time: ½ hour (plus chilling time)
- 600ml Double Cream
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 75ml Marsala wine (or similar such as a dry Madeira wine or a dark sherry)
- 70g (about 5tbsp) caster sugar
- 300ml strong coffee (about 2tbsp instant coffee granules to 300ml boiling water)
- 175g sponge fingers
- 25g dark chocolate, grated
- 2tsp cocoa powder, to garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the double cream, mascarpone, Marsala wine and sugar until all of the cream and cheese is combined and you have a thick mixture.
- Pour your coffee into a shallow bowl and soak each of the sponge fingers for a few seconds on each side so they absorb some of the liquid (be careful not to leave them in too long as you don’t want them becoming too soggy, though you do want to use up all of your coffee).
- Place half of your sponge fingers so that they completely cover the bottom of a glass or ceramic serving dish. Then, layer on top of these about half of your cream and mascarpone mixture.
- Grate most of your dark chocolate on top of the creamy layer and then build another layer of sponge fingers, followed by the creamy cheese, on top of this.
- When this is complete there should be a layer of mascarpone and cream on top. Cover your tiramisù with cling film or a tea towel and refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight if you’ve got time.
- Just before you serve your dolce dust it with the cocoa powder and grate over the last of your dark chocolate. Buon appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.
Want even more pasta perks? Join our Pasta Club for free delivery and 15% off each dish. Pasta Club members also gain access to exclusive gifts and perks, as well as early access to Pasta Evangelists events and classes. Learn more about our pasta club today.