Since its coffee-centric inception, tiramisù has become a leitmotif of Northern Italian gastronomy, particularly in the domain of dolce, or desserts. Originating from Treviso, a city in the region of Veneto, the name is derived from the traditional dialect where ‘tireme su’ means ‘pick me up’, and we can’t help but agree that this tasty treat does exactly what it’s name promises. First created as a nineteenth century aphrodisiac by the maîtresse of a house of pleasure, tiramisù quickly became a popular dessert enjoyed by the social elite, despite its somewhat risqué origin story.
Combining creamy mascarpone cheese, delicious coffee and a sprinkling of cocoa powder, this decadent dolce is sure to make you feel merry on a cold winter evening. Follow our foolproof recipe or watch the video below to be whisked away to the moonlit canals of Venice with this indulgent tiramisù.
Make our Tiramisù
Prep Time: ½ hour (plus chilling time)
Calories per serving: 614 kcal
- 4 eggs
- 500g mascarpone cheese
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 70g (about 5tbsp) caster sugar
- 300ml strong coffee (ideally espresso or Moka coffee but you can also use instant coffee; the coffee should be cool to the touch)
- 175g sponge fingers
- 2tsp cocoa powder, to garnish
- Separate the eggs into two large mixing bowls.
- Whisk the egg yolks with about 2/3rds of the sugar until very pale and thickened.
- Start adding the mascarpone, one spoonful at a time. Continue whisking until all the mascarpone has been incorporated and the mixture is even paler and has a very thick consistency.
- Clean your whisk and start whisking the egg whites. Once they are foamy, add the remainder of the sugar and continue whisking until stiff peaks form.
- Add a spoonful of the egg whites to the egg yolk mixture and quickly mix to combine. Then carefully fold in the remainder of the egg whites, one spoonful at a time. You want to keep as much air as possible in the mixture. Now your mascarpone mixture is ready.
- Get your serving dish ready. We recommend a glass one so you can see the layers.
- Place an even layer of the mascarpone filling on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour your coffee into a shallow bowl and soak each of the sponge fingers for a few seconds on each side so they absorb some of the liquid (be careful not to leave them in too long as you don’t want them becoming too soggy, though you do want to use up all of your coffee).
- Place half of your sponge fingers on top of the mascarpone layer so that they completely cover it. Then, layer on top of these about half of the remaining mascarpone mixture.
- Build another layer of sponge fingers, followed by the mascarpone cheese, on top of this.
- When this is complete there should be a layer of mascarpone cream on top. Finish your tiramisù with a dusting of cocoa powder.
- Cover the tiramisù with cling film or a tea towel and refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight if you’ve got time.
- Serve your tiramisù and dig in. Buon appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.