The Italian cuisinal landscape is adored globally for its stunning - albeit wheat-rich - food exports; think artisanal bread, decadent and gooey pizzas and of course, delicious fresh pasta. Thus, for all its (many) positives, Italian cuisine offers one crucial drawback, specifically to those following a gluten-free diet, who will indeed struggle to access some of the most popular foods Italy has to offer.
We at Pasta Evangelists HQ strongly believe that everyone should be able to savour classic Italian cuisine, no matter their dietary needs. But what about those looking to make authentic fresh pasta at home? In this article, we’ll be sharing a simple recipe for homemade gluten-free ravioli, one of our favourite quintessentially Italian pasta dishes. Armed with this useful recipe, your gluten-free ravioli potential is limitless - feel free to interchange fillings, sauces and garnishes in your foray into gluten free Italian cuisine!
Fresh gluten free ravioli - a recipe
Prep time: 60 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Calories per serving: 258kcal (excludes filling)
- 200g gluten-free flour (rice flour and cornflour are both dependable and readily available)
- 100ml water or 2 large eggs (use water for pasta bianca or white pasta - a vegan version)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp xanthan gum (only if your flour doesn’t already contain it)
- 1tbsp salt
To make your dough
- Mix together your gluten-free flour, xanthan gum and salt. You can use a food processor for this if you have one.
- Make a mound with your flour. Slowly mix in the water or eggs with the extra virgin olive oil with a fork. Keep mixing until you have a rough dough.
- Roll your dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 15 minutes, until smooth.
- Once this is done, rest your dough for 15-30 minutes before shaping your ravioli.
For more information on preparing gluten-free pasta, be sure to check out our gluten-free pasta recipe here.
To shape your ravioli
- Once rested, unwrap the dough, cut it in half and press it down with your hands, or a rolling pin, to flatten. Cover the other half with the tea towel to keep it from drying up and set aside.
- Clamp a hand-crank pasta machine to a work surface or sturdy chopping board, setting the dial to its widest setting. Feed your flattened sheet of pasta through the machine. Repeat at least 3 times before moving onto the next setting, this time ever so slightly thinner. Repeat this process making your way from the thickest setting to the thinnest. If need be, dust the sheet of dough with flour to prevent it from sticking to the machine. You’ll know this process is complete when you can see your hand through the pasta sheet.
- Cut your sheet in half and lay both strips next to each other. Very slightly wet the edges of your strip of pasta with a pastry brush or by hand if need be. Using a piping bag, carefully squeeze your filling of choice* in a line down the centre of one of the strips about 2 inches, or 5cm, apart.
- Place the other strip directly on top. Before sealing, gently press on the dough around the filling to eliminate any excess air. Next, very lightly moisten the dough with your hands and press it firmly closed.
- A good seal is important for keeping the filling inside so take your time here. Now take a square ravioli cutter and press firmly on the dough around the filling. Finish with a final dusting of flour to keep your ravioli from sticking together.
- Repeat this process with the rest of your dough and remaining filling.
- Now simply boil your gluten-free ravioli in generously salted water for 3-4 minutes, until al dente. Toss in your favourite compound butter, garnish and serve!
For an in-depth guide to preparing fresh ravioli, check out our homemade ravioli recipe here.
*We advise preparing your filling prior to your pasta, as this enables the mixture to firm up in the refrigerator, making it easier to handle. A great filling option for your gluten-free ravioli is the classic spinach and ricotta pairing - we have an easy yet delicious recipe here.
Looking for an easier means to satisfy your craving for gluten-free ravioli? Why not try one of our gluten-free dishes on our weekly menu? We offer a different gluten-free dish every week. These gourmet gluten-free dishes are prepared with the freshest of ingredients, delivered to your door, and are ready in five minutes. Buon appetito!