Get a taste for Italy’s beautiful, sun-kissed coast with this delicious pasta dish. One of the secrets to authentic Italian cooking is to use only a few ingredients, but to select the freshest and highest quality where possible. For this recipe we recommend using the freshest cod fillets you can find and tomatoes that have ripened on the vine as these tend to be packed with more flavour. We also suggest that, if you have time, you try and make your own fettuccine, as homemade pasta will elevate this dish to the next level.
Try Our Delicious Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes (not including pasta making)
Calories per serving: 425 kcal
- 350g fresh fettuccine (see our fresh fettuccine recipe to make your own)
- 4 fresh cod fillets
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4tbsp vegetable stock
- 250g vine-ripened tomatoes, halved
- 1tsp brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Handful fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Heat the olive oil over medium-heat in a skillet or large, heavy-based pan. Place the cod into the hot oil, season with salt and pepper on both sides and cook for about 3 minutes on each side.
- When cooked, remove the cod from the pan, cover with tin foil and set aside.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook your fresh fettuccine for 3 minutes (if you’re using pasta from a packet, cook for the time allocated in the instructions). When cooked, drain the pasta but reserve about 100ml of the pasta water.
- Add the sliced tomatoes to the skillet and cook for about a minute until they begin to soften.
- Add the 4tbsp of vegetable stock to the pan along with the brown sugar, garlic and lemon zest. Pour in about 1tbsp lemon juice.
- Bring the sauce up to a gentle simmer and add your drained fettuccine. Throw in your chopped basil leaves and stir through.
- Add about 50ml of the pasta water to the pan and toss the pasta to ensure it is all evenly coated.
- Gently tear your cod into small pieces, it should flake quite easily, and add this to the pasta. Serve immediately, buon appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.