Ravioli has been a staple in Italian cuisine since the 14th century. The first mention of the delicious pasta parcel was in the famous merchant of Venice Prato’s personal letters, tracing back to around 1380. Ravioli come from all over Italy, with each region boasting its own unique take on the filling.
Though an affront to Italian culinary practise – in which an unspoken rule forbids pairing poultry with pasta – we are willing to fly in the face of our own staunchly-observed tradition to present to you this deliciously savoury ravioli recipe. Humble parcels of fresh egg pasta here conceal a provocative secret - an interior of salty pancetta and Parmigiano Reggiano, chicken and earthy rosemary. Pair with a luscious and herby butter sauce, as well as a further lashing of Parmigiano Reggiano, for the ultimate culinary dichotomy: sophisticated comfort food.
Chicken & Pancetta Ravioli Recipe
Prep time: 70 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Calories per serving: 534 kcal
For the chicken ravioli filling
- 250g chicken, diced (chicken breast or thigh fillets work best)
- 100g pancetta, diced
- ½ cup ricotta
- ½ cup white wine
- ¼ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Salt, to taste
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, finely chopped
- Black Pepper, to taste
For the ravioli
- For all you need to know, see our recipe for homemade ravioli
Chef’s tip: when dicing your chicken and your pancetta, ensure the mixture is fine enough to form the pasta filling, but still retains some texture/bite. Aim for a mince-like consistency, rather than a paste.
- Heat a large frying pan until it reaches smoking point, then add your pancetta and cook until crispy. Note you do not need to add oil prior to frying, as the meat will render enough fat to fry.
- Lower the heat, then add your minced garlic, and gently sauté, being careful not to burn the mixture. Add your finely chopped chicken, and fry gently until fully cooked.
- Deglaze your pan with a splash of dry white wine, then add in the rosemary, salt and pepper to taste. Allow the mixture to simmer until the alcohol evaporates and the mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool fully.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your ricotta and grated parmesan, then add your completely cooled chicken mixture. Mix until fully incorporated - tasting your mixture to adjust any seasoning if necessary.
- Your filling is now complete! To form your delicious ravioli parcels, simply follow our homemade ravioli recipe here.
How should I serve my chicken and pancetta ravioli?
We accept making fresh, delicious ravioli from scratch is a somewhat complex endeavour, so we like to let each lovingly-crafted parcel shine - quite literally - in a simple, glossy butter sauce. We reveal our favourite compound butters, that feature regularly on our own weekly menu, in our blog-post detailing 5 incredible butter sauce recipes. Take a look for yourself, though we recommend the much-loved Italian pairing of burro e salvia, or butter and sage, for this dish, as the earthy herb is a delight against the meaty and comforting chicken filling of our ravioli.
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.