Adored globally, the humble meat ravioli boasts long-established roots within the Italian food landscape. Aligning with the low-waste ethos embedded within traditional Italian cuisine, the modest raviolo parcel burgeoned as a means to bring new vigour to leftover meats and other components of prior-enjoyed meals. Though humble in origin, nowadays traditionally prepared beef ravioli is somewhat more ceremonial - a staple of Ligurian cuisine, the dish is a shining example of the recompense yielded when simple yet thoughtful ingredients are lovingly prepared in a manner shaped by centuries of tradition, a notion at the backbone of authentic Italian cooking of the present.
Our beef ravioli recipe blends hearty minced beef with complimentary earthy herbs and punchy Parmigiano Reggiano, resulting in a well-balanced and unpretentious take on one of Italy’s most cherished dishes. While you should find some ease in the speedy cook-time of the meat ravioli filling, we implore you, do not be perturbed by the complex undertaking that is preparing fresh ravioli - your effort is rewarded tenfold, in the form of sweet and delicate parcels, concealing a decadently meaty interior. Buon appetito!
Our Sumptuous Beef Ravioli Recipe
Prep time: 75 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Calories per serving: 508 kcal
For the filling
- 350g minced beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrots, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- ¾ cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the ravioli
- For all you need to know, simply follow our recipe for homemade ravioli
- Heat a glug of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add your diced onion, celery and carrots, and allow to sweat until soft and translucent.
- Add your minced garlic, frying the mixture gently until aromatic. Remove the mixture from the pan.
- Increase the heat of the pan, adding a small amount of oil. Once the oil begins to gently smoke, add your beef mince, leaving it to brown before proceeding to break the meat apart. Continue to fry until fully cooked, then deglaze the pan with white wine, ensuring to capture any deliciously meaty fond that has collected at the bottom of the pan.
- Add your vegetable mixture back to the pan, then toss in the chopped rosemary, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Let the mixture simmer until thickened, allowing your flavours to develop, forming a deliciously meaty and aromatic filling.
- Remove your pan from the heat, before adding your grated Parmigiano Reggiano. Stir until combined, then leave the mixture to cool completely.
- You’re now ready to transform your mixture into delicious ravioli - to so do, simply follow our step-by-step guide to making fresh ravioli here.
What should I serve with my beef ravioli?
To serve, we recommend dressing the ravioli in a deliciously earthy burro e salvia (sage butter). Of all the herbs, sage is noted for its harmonious kinship with meat, and this dish proves no exception to this rule. For our tried and tested sage butter recipe, as well as four other stunning potential pairings, see our 5 incredible butter sauce recipes. The perfect way to round out this dish? Scatter your luscious ravioli with a generous helping of Parmigiano Reggiano for a rich and decadent pasta moment.
Making fresh ravioli from scratch is a complex process, but one eased by having the right tools. We offer a range of complete pasta making kits, designed to suit both intrepid pasta explorers and the greenest of pastaios (pasta makers). Order today, and you’ll be making perfect beef ravioli in no time!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.
Want even more pasta perks? Subscribers receive new recipes to try each week, with free delivery and 15% off each dish. Subscribers also gain access to exclusive gifts and perks, as well as early access to Pasta Evangelists events and classes. To learn more about our pasta club, see our subscription guide.