Known in the UK by the rather undignified title of ‘spaghetti hoops’, anelli are a pasta variety that has become synonymous with childhood nostalgia, served in a soupy, tomatoey sauce fresh from a Heinz tin. However, despite these slightly unsophisticated associations, they are in fact an authentic Italian pasta shape.
What is Anelli?
These small, thick rings of egg pasta are traditionally served up in soups or salads, making them a perfect pasta shape for many summery recipes. Most commonly sold in dry form rather than fresh, they are extremely versatile. Sometimes known as anelletti, these pasta hoops can also be found in miniature form as anellini, literally translating to mean ‘little rings’.
Which Sauces Pair Well with Anelli?
Anelli are best enjoyed in pasta salads or soups, particularly as a light primi, or starter, before a main meal. We enjoy this pasta shape in a creamy salad made with mayonnaise and vinegar (see below), or even in a tomato-based soup like minestrone. For a simple summer meal you could serve up your anelli with one of our pesto sauces.
Our Creamy Anelli Pasta Recipe
Prep Time: 15 mins
Calories per serving: 396kcal
- 350g anelli pasta
- 100g fresh broccoli, roughly chopped
- 100g (½ cup) mayonnaise
- 3tsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 50g cucumber, finely diced
- 50g black olives, pitted and halved
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Cook the anelli according to the instructions on the packet.
- When the pasta has about 5 minutes left, steam the broccoli over the pan of pasta. Let the broccoli cook for a few minutes and then drain everything into a large colander. Rinse thoroughly with cold water to cool down the pasta and the broccoli.
- Stir together the mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the cooled pasta and broccoli to the bowl and toss well to combine thoroughly.
- Add the cucumber, pepper, olives, and onion and stir again.
- Season to taste and then cover your salad and put it in the fridge until you’re ready to serve it up. Buon appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.