When it comes to food, Italian cuisine - in our humble opinion - can rarely be beaten and we’re not just talking about pasta. From delicious aperitivo snacks to decadent desserts, Italian dining is a tasty treat from start to finish. Today we’re sharing one of our favourite recipes for those with a sweet tooth: affogato. This divine dolce is the perfect way to round off a meal and can be whipped up en masse to wow guests at an Italian dinner party. The name affogato comes from the Italian word for ‘drowned’, describing the way the icecream is drenched by the coffee.
Our Delicious Affogato Recipe
Prep Time: 10 mins
Calories per serving: 382kcal
- 4 scoops good quality vanilla ice cream, we love to use Remeo Gelato’s Madagascan Vanilla
- 100ml hot Italian espresso coffee (we suggest using a percolator to make your espresso fresh, but instant coffee will work too)
- 40g dark chocolate
- Make up your espresso, enough for two small cups of coffee.
- Place two scoops of ice cream into two small dessert glasses.
- Pour the espresso over the ice cream.
- To finish, grate a little dark chocolate on top of your desserts for added decadence or, alternatively, melt the chocolate in the espresso before you add it to the ice cream. Serve immediately, buon appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.