It’s that time of year again when love is in the air and roses are in abundance. In this recipe we’re taking a slightly alternative spin on this classic symbol of Valentine’s Day and shining our spotlight on the beautiful radicchio rosa, which takes centre stage in this delicious Italian salad.
A cultivated form of leaf chicory, often grown in the regions of northern Italy, radicchio rosa is a beautiful pink-hued leafy vegetable which is distantly related to the vibrant yellow dandelion. The ripples of white running throughout each leaf are stunning to look at and this lighter, brighter variety also has a more subtle, mellow flavour than its darker counterpart.
We throw these gorgeous rose-like leaves into our salad alongside sultry segments of Sicilian blood orange, which are in season only in late-January and early February. Combined with crumbly pieces of fresh sheep’s cheese and garnished with a scattering of walnuts this is the perfect winter salad for any romantic dinner-date.
Make our Delicious Radicchio Rosa Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
For the salad:
- 3-4 radicchio rosa (depending on size)
- 2 Sicilian blood oranges
- 250g Sheep’s Cheese (Ricotta or Pecorino Romano), crumbled or cut into small pieces
- A handful of walnuts
For the dressing:
- Splash of blood orange juice
- Grated zest of ½ blood orange
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp runny honey
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Wash and gently dry your radicchio, divide the leaves evenly between the 4 plates and arrange aesthetically.
- Peel and slice your blood oranges into small segments and add to each plate to garnish.
- Mix together all of the ingredients for your dressing in a small bowl, combine well and season to taste.
- Sprinkle your sheep’s cheese and walnuts evenly onto each plate.
- Drizzle the dressing over each portion of your salad and serve as a delicious starter. Buon appetito!
At Pasta Evangelists, we bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. Prepared using the freshest ingredients, our gourmet pasta dishes are perfect for those looking to enjoy restaurant-quality meals, delivered to your door, and ready in under five minutes. Order from our weekly menu today, and we’ll offer you 25% off your first delivery - simply enter the code BLOG25 at checkout.
Want even more pasta perks? Join our Pasta Club for free delivery and 15% off each dish. Pasta Club members also gain access to exclusive gifts and perks, as well as early access to Pasta Evangelists events and classes. Learn more about our pasta club today.