When our customers told us they wanted to visit Mexico on our global gastronomic getaway for World Pasta Day, the jalapeño simply had to be part of the journey. Originating thousands of years ago in what is now modern day Mexico, the history of this piquant pepper is as vibrant as its flavour. The jalapeño pepper’s name literally translates as ‘from Xalapa’, which refers to the bustling capital city of the Mexican state, Veracruz, where the peppers were supposedly first harvested. Fresh jalapeños have a distinctive bright, green flavour with a good amount of kick without being too spicy.
We pair our limited edition jalapeño pesto with cicatelli, a boat-like pasta shape with scalloped edges, traditionally made by hand in the southern region of Puglia. This felt a fitting pairing as, aside from Puglia having a similar climate to Mexico, the Pugliese share Mexicans’ fervour for all things spicy, readily incorporating all sorts of chillies into their cooking. Although, this may be the first time jalapeños have been so distinguished! Finished with toasted flaked almonds for a nutty contrast to the zest & spice of the pesto, this dish is a fiesta for the tastebuds. Buen Provecho!
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Salt the water (around ½tbsp per litre).
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water for 4 minutes.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, put the pesto in a large bowl. Take care to ensure you squeeze all the sauce from the pouch. Add 2 tbsp (30ml) of the boiling cooking water to the pesto and mix together.
- Lift the pasta out of the water and transfer to the pesto. Toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle over the almond flakes and cheese. Serve immediately. Buon appetito!
Allergens in BOLD & CAPITALISED:
Durum WHEAT Semolina, Water, Rice Flour
In addition to the recipe-specific allergen information provided, Pasta Evangelists handles all 14 allergens prescribed in legislation. Whilst we have implemented and maintain safety practices and take all reasonable precautions to prevent cross-contamination, we cannot guarantee that our products will not contain traces of these allergens.
Calories per serving: 822kcal
Following nutritional information is per 100g:
- Energy 1276kJ
- Calories 307kcal
- Fat 14.3g
- Of which saturates 2.8g
- Carbohydrates 34.7g
- Of which sugars 1.3g
- Protein 9g
- Salt 0.4g