For our Japanese-inspired dish we’ve homed in on the incredibly delicious Wagyu beef for our ragù. Not just because “Wagyu ragù” is amusing to say but also due to the uniqueness of this Japanese ingredient. ‘Wagyu’, literally meaning ‘Japanese cattle’, were originally raised for labour in agriculture and thus developed high energy & endurance capabilities, particularly during periods of drought, which ultimately contributed to the superiority of the meats’ quality & tasting experience. Traditionally fed through grazing in large, pastured areas, as well as being fed other high-energy and high-protein products such as rice straw and alfalfa to help develop the signature marbling of fat throughout the muscle.
Until the 1970s, Wagyu cattle were considered a ‘national treasure’ in Japan and so were blocked by the Japanese government from being exported. As a result, Wagyu beef is comparatively new to the global gastronomic scene!
We’ve paired this extraordinary meat with pici pasta, a Tuscan variety made using only semolina flour and water. This shape seemed fitting as its thick strands are charmingly reminiscent of Japanese udon noodles! Meshiagare!
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Salt the water (around ½tbsp per litre).
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water for 4-7 minutes, checking the pasta from time to time until it reaches your preferred softness (we like it 'al dente', with a bit of a bite). Stir regularly to prevent sticking.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, put the sauce in a pan and add 2tbsp (30ml) of the boiling pasta cooking water. Take care to ensure you squeeze all the sauce from the pouch. Gently heat until steaming and then turn off the heat.
- Lift the pasta out of the water and transfer to the sauce. Toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle over the Italian cheese. Serve immediately. Buon appetito!
Allergens in BOLD & CAPITALISED:
MILK, Salt, Rennet (Microbial Coagulant), EGG Lysozyme
In addition to the recipe-specific allergen information provided, Pasta Evangelists handles all 14 allergens prescribed in legislation. Whilst we have implemented and maintain safety practices and take all reasonable precautions to prevent cross-contamination, we cannot guarantee that our products will not contain traces of these allergens.
Calories per serving: 638kcal
Following nutritional information is per 100g:
- Energy 725kJ
- Calories 173kcal
- Fat 3.1g
- Of which saturates 1.3g
- Carbohydrates 26.4g
- Of which sugars 2g
- Protein 9.6g
- Salt 0.3g