There are few Italian sauces better known than this classic ragù made by slow-cooking beef mince with plenty of aromatics, although on British menus you would be far more likely to encounter Bolognese sauce matched with spaghetti. Curiously, as ubiquitous a combination as this may be in British households, it’s one that simply doesn’t exist in Italy. Instead, in Bologna, where the sauce originates, tagliatelle are the authentic pairing.
Tagliatelle are a flat pasta, whose official width and thickness as stated by the Bolognese Chamber of Commerce are 6mm x 1mm. Legend states that tagliatelle was invented on the night of Annibale II Bentivoglio’s wedding to Lucrezia from the house of Este in 1487, by Lucrezia’s talented chef, after seeing her ribbon-like hairstyle. However, there is much speculation as to if this was actually true or a joke made up by humourist Augusto Majani in 1931.
Note: Please consume or freeze our pasta and sauces within 2 days of delivery.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Salt the water (around ½tbsp per litre).
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent sticking.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, put the sauce in a pan and add 2tbsp (30ml) of the boiling pasta cooking water. Take care to ensure you squeeze all the sauce from the pouch. Gently heat until steaming and then turn off the heat.
- Lift the pasta out of the water and transfer to the sauce. Toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle over the Italian cheese. Serve immediately. Buon appetito!
Allergens in BOLD & CAPITALISED:
Durum WHEAT Semola, WHEAT Flour, EGG, Rice Flour
Tomatoes, Minced Beef (Origin: Ireland) (36%), Water, Onion, Carrot, CELERY, Red Wine (SULPHITES), Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Salt, Garlic, Sugar, Chicken Stock (contains CELERY Seeds), Black Pepper
MILK, Salt, Rennet (Microbial Coagulant), EGG Lysozyme
In addition to the recipe-specific allergen information provided, Pasta Evangelists handles all 14 allergens prescribed in legislation. Whilst we have implemented and maintain safety practices and take all reasonable precautions to prevent cross-contamination, we cannot guarantee that our products will not contain traces of these allergens.
Calories per serving: 784kcal
Following nutritional information is per 100g:
- Energy 889kJ
- Calories 213kcal
- Fat 6.1g
- Of which saturates 2.5g
- Carbohydrates 29.0g
- Of which sugars 3.1g
- Protein 10.2g
- Salt 0.25g
Find this week's recipe cards, complete with cooking methods, in our handy Recipes Archive .