Natives of Amatrice, the town near Rome where this sauce comes from, are staunchly protective over this recipe. Indeed, they’ve been quick to condemn any creative digressions - the Town Council once declared the inclusion of garlic by respected Italian chef Carlo Cracco as a “lack of judgement” on his part. Traditionally, this sauce is made with smoked guanciale (pork cheek).
At the risk of again dismaying the good people of Amatrice, though, we substitute pancetta, as this imparts a deeper, smokier flavour. These flavoursome morsels of pancetta are gently fried until crisp, then suspended in a vibrant tomato sauce. To amplify the amatriciana sauce’s signature meaty flavour, we add both chicken and pork stock, while rosemary, bay leaf and red wine add depth, ensuring a moreish taste of Amatrice.
Note: Please consume or freeze our pasta and sauces within 2 days of delivery.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Salt the water (around ½tbsp per litre).
- Remove the gluten free pasta from the brown bag and cook in the boiling water for 2 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent sticking.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, put the sauce in a pan and add 1tbsp (15ml) of the boiling pasta cooking water. Take care to ensure you squeeze all the sauce from the pouch. Gently heat until steaming and then turn off the heat.
- Once cooked, transfer the pasta to the sauce. Toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle over the Italian cheese. Serve immediately. Buon appetito!
Allergens in BOLD & CAPITALISED:
Flour Blend (White Rice, Brown Rice, Potato Starch, Tapioca Starch, Buckwheat, Maize, Sorghum, White Teff, Xanthan Gum), Water, Sunflower Oil, Turmeric Powder
Tomatoes, Smoked Pancetta (Pork Belly (Origin: Holland), Salt, Dextrose, Spices, Aromatic Plants, Natural Flavourings, Smoke Flavourings, Antioxidant: E301, Preservatives: E250, E252), Onion, Red Wine (SULPHITES), Water, Salt, Sugar, Olive Oil, Garlic, Black Pepper
MILK, Salt, Rennet (Microbial Coagulant), EGG Lysozyme
In addition to the recipe-specific allergen information provided, Pasta Evangelists handles all 14 allergens prescribed in legislation. Whilst we have implemented and maintain safety practices and take all reasonable precautions to prevent cross-contamination, we cannot guarantee that our products will not contain traces of these allergens.
Calories per serving: 876kcal
Following nutritional information is per 100g:
- Energy 1054kJ
- Calories 252kcal
- Fat 5.9g
- Of which saturates 2.2g
- Carbohydrates 40.7g
- Of which sugars 1.3g
- Protein 8.0g
- Salt 0.7g
Find this week's recipe cards, complete with cooking methods, in our handy Recipes Archive .