"Rigatoni" comes from the Italian word "rigare", meaning to score lines or mark lines into something. Rigatoni are big tubes of pasta that are ridged on the outside and smooth within. This shape is traditionally associated with central and southern Italy, particularly Sicily, where serving norma sauce with rigatoni is a veritable tradition.
Indeed, Rigatoni alla Norma is named after the opera "Norma" from the composer Vincenzo Bellini, who was born in 19th century Catania, Sicily's second-largest city. Our Norma sauce is made from aubergines grown in the outskirts of this sun-drenched island city. Tomatoes are just as important to the success of a Norma sauce - here, we use the plump and blushing San Marzano variety, whose thick flesh and sweet taste evoke the best of Italy in summer. A final scattering of Ricotta salata - a firm, salty cheese - completes this typical Sicilian dish. And we have to tell you, it really is sublime.
Note: Please consume or freeze our pasta and sauces within 2 days of delivery.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Salt the water (around ½tbsp per litre).
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water for 3 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent sticking.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, put the sauce in a pan. Take care to ensure you squeeze all the sauce from the pouch. Gently heat until steaming and then turn off the heat.
- Lift the pasta out of the water and transfer to the sauce. Toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle over the ricotta salata cheese. Serve immediately. Buon appetito!
Allergens in BOLD & CAPITALISED:
Durum WHEAT Semola, WHEAT Flour, EGG, Rice Flour
Tomatoes, Aubergine, Onion, Carrot, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Basil, Salt, Sugar, Garlic
Sheep MILK Whey, Salt, Citric Acid E330
In addition to the recipe-specific allergen information provided, Pasta Evangelists handles all 14 allergens prescribed in legislation. Whilst we have implemented and maintain safety practices and take all reasonable precautions to prevent cross-contamination, we cannot guarantee that our products will not contain traces of these allergens.
Calories per serving: 586kcal
Following nutritional information is per 100g:
- Energy 705kJ
- Calories 168kcal
- Fat 2.4g
- Of which saturates 0.8g
- Carbohydrates 30.5g
- Of which sugars 3.1g
- Protein 5.9g
- Salt 0.21g
Find this week's recipe cards, complete with cooking methods, in our handy Recipes Archive .