This vibrant pasta dish is made with fresh datterini tomatoes from the island of Sicily. There, in the abundant sunshine, they take on a beautiful, blushing colour and a delicious, earthy fragrance. Literally meaning “dates”, datterini tomatoes, like their namesake, are known for their exceptional sweetness. By slow-roasting them with a generous amount of fresh basil and extra virgin olive oil, this natural sweetness shines through. In true Italian style we’ve used a limited number of ingredients for this dish, but each is of the highest quality, ensuring the final dish is as fresh and flavoursome as can be!
In a nod to the Italian region of Tuscany, we’ve paired this datterini tomato sauce with pici, a sort of thick, oversized spaghetti shape hailing from the inimitably beautiful Siena. Traditionally, pici are made with merely flour and water - a staple of Tuscan peasantry - but, today, are heartily enjoyed as part of this plant-based pasta dish.
Note: Please consume or freeze our pasta and sauces within 2 days of delivery.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Salt the water (around ½tbsp per litre).
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water for 4-7 minutes, checking the pasta from time to time until it reaches your preferred softness (we like it 'al dente', with a bit of a bite). Stir regularly to prevent sticking.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, put the sauce in a pan and add 2tbsp (30ml) of the boiling pasta cooking water. Take care to ensure you squeeze all the sauce from the pouch. Gently heat until steaming and then turn off the heat. Whilst the sauce heats, gently rinse the basil leaves under cold water.
- Once cooked, transfer the pasta to the sauce. Toss gently to coat.
- Serve immediately with freshly torn basil. Buon appetito!
Allergens in BOLD & CAPITALISED:
Durum WHEAT Semolina, Water, Rice Flour
Datterini Tomatoes (41%), Plum Tomatoes, Chopped Tomatoes (Tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid), Carrot (SULPHITES), Onion, CELERY (SULPHITES), Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Garlic, Salt, Basil, Black Pepper, Sugar, Bay Leaf
In addition to the recipe-specific allergen information provided, Pasta Evangelists handles all 14 allergens prescribed in legislation. Whilst we have implemented and maintain safety practices and take all reasonable precautions to prevent cross-contamination, we cannot guarantee that our products will not contain traces of these allergens.
Calories per serving: 513kcal
Following nutritional information is per 100g:
- Energy 612kJ
- Calories 146kcal
- Fat 1.1g
- Of which saturates 0.1g
- Carbohydrates 28.4
- Of which sugars 2.8g
- Protein 5.4g
- Salt 0.4g