Pappardelle originate in Tuscany, a region known for rich, hearty sauces. Pappardelle is one of the thickest flat pastas, making it the perfect size to sop up meat sauces. The word pappardelle comes from the verb pappare, meaning to “gobble up”, which is exactly what people who eat this pasta do.
In this week's twist, we combine a traditional Tuscan dish of pork & cavolo nero ragù with pappardelle pasta. In doing so, we pay homage to the tradition of pulled pork, beloved of impoverished Italians throughout history, for whom it proved an excellent way to turn cheaper cuts of meat into decadent, tender specimens. Cavolo nero, in a similar way, was once deemed to be fit only for peasants and so became a staple of "la cucina povera", or the poor man's kitchen. Today, it's quite voguish, particularly as it has been discovered to be full of health-giving nutrients. In any case, just pull your fork through the rich strands of slow-cooked pork and delight as they yield and fall apart.
Note: Please consume or freeze our pasta and sauces within 2 days of delivery.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Salt the water (around ½tbsp per litre).
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent sticking.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, put the sauce in a pan and add 2tbsp (30ml) of the boiling pasta cooking water. Take care to ensure you squeeze all the sauce from the pouch. Gently heat until steaming and then turn off the heat.
- Lift the pasta out of the water and transfer to the sauce. Toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle over the Italian cheese. Serve immediately. Buon appetito!
Allergens in BOLD & CAPITALISED:
Durum WHEAT Semola, WHEAT Flour, EGG, Rice Flour
Tomato, Pork Shoulder (Origin: UK) (27%), Water, Onion, Carrot, CELERY, Red Wine (SULPHITES), Cavolo Nero (1%), Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Pork Stock (contains CELERY Seeds), Salt, Garlic, Sugar, Rosemary, Chicken stock (contains CELERY Seeds), Bay Leaf, Thyme, Black Pepper
MILK, Salt, Rennet (Microbial Coagulant), EGG Lysozyme
In addition to the recipe-specific allergen information provided, Pasta Evangelists handles all 14 allergens prescribed in legislation. Whilst we have implemented and maintain safety practices and take all reasonable precautions to prevent cross-contamination, we cannot guarantee that our products will not contain traces of these allergens.
Calories per serving: 741kcal
Following nutritional information is per 100g:
- Energy 842kJ
- Calories 201kcal
- Fat 5.4g
- Of which saturates 1.9g
- Carbohydrates 28.9g
- Of which sugars 3.1g
- Protein 9.0g
- Salt 0.3g
Find this week's recipe cards, complete with cooking methods, in our handy Recipes Archive .