Orecchiette, literally ‘little ears’ in Italian, are a perfect example of how amazing pasta can be! Using only flour and water, the little shell shapes have a firm bite, but a soft interior.
Another delight is, of course, the variety of shapes available across Italy’s twenty regions. Orecchiette are known and loved in their rugged home region of Puglia for their ability to scoop up smaller elements of sauce. And this is certainly the case for our beautiful plant-based pesto, the orecchiette allowing flecks of deep green Bronte pistachio to nestle within.
Bronte pistachios are also known as ‘’green gold’’ in their native Sicily, from where this sauce originates. The delicate nut is renowned throughout the gastronomic world for its rich, nutty flavour and green hue. Indeed, we hope you’ll agree this innovative pesto - inspired by Sicily, but given a modern plant-based twist by leaving out the traditional formaggio - has the most beautiful colour. We've also included a pistachio crumb to serve, as well as fresh basil grown on the Pasta Evangelists vertical farm in East London (grown with 0 air miles or pesticides, as Dio intended). We hope you'll agree it's gorgeously fragrant and completes this dish perfectly.
Note: Please consume or freeze our pasta and sauces within 2 days of delivery.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Salt the water (around ½tbsp per litre).
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, put the pesto in a large bowl. Take care to ensure you squeeze all the sauce from the pouch. Add 2 tbsp (30ml) of the boiling cooking water to the pesto and mix together. Gently rinse the basil leaves under cold water.
- Lift the pasta out of the water and transfer to the pesto. Toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle over the pistachio crumb and freshly torn basil. Serve immediately. Buon appetito.
Allergens in BOLD & CAPITALISED:
Durum WHEAT Semolina, Water, Rice Flour
Pistachio Nuts (NUTS) (29%), Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Water, Vegan Cheese (Water, Starch, Modified Starch, Coconut Oil, Sea Salt, Rice Protein, Flavourings, Olive Extract, Colour: B-Carotene, Vitamin B12), Garlic, Salt
Pistachio Nuts (NUTS)
In addition to the recipe-specific allergen information provided, Pasta Evangelists handles all 14 allergens prescribed in legislation. Whilst we have implemented and maintain safety practices and take all reasonable precautions to prevent cross-contamination, we cannot guarantee that our products will not contain traces of these allergens.
Calories per serving: 906kcal
Following nutritional information is per 100g:
- Energy 1454kJ
- Calories 350kcal
- Fat 18.1g
- Of which saturates 2.5g
- Carbohydrates 36.6g
- Of which sugars 1.6g
- Protein 9.6g
- Salt 0.23g