Orecchiette, literally ‘little ears’ in Italian, are a perfect example of how amazing pasta can be! Using only flour and water, the little shell shapes have a firm bite, but a soft interior. As they are a pasta bianca - i.e. white pasta - they are free of egg and thus suitable for vegans. But don't worry if you aren't vegan - this is how they're traditionally made, and, rest assured, they're delicious just as they are!
Another delight is, of course, the variety of shapes available across Italy’s twenty regions. Orecchiette are known and loved in their rugged home region of Puglia for their ability to scoop up smaller elements of the sauce, such as this innovative fresh pesto with its star ingredient: Sicilian pistachios. The sturdy pasta holds this sauce beautifully, so neither pasta nor our twist on pesto becomes a supporting act for the other. This wonderful plant-based pesto combines luxuriously with the fresh orecchiette, creating a dish that invites moreish mouthfuls. We apply supply a Sicilian pistachio crumb for you to sprinkle over the dish once prepared: this adds wonderful crunch and texture, as well as showcasing the pretty, pink-specked shards of pistachio. Sublimely beautiful.
Photo by: @fenwench
Please note, whilst every effort has been made to remove the shells, this pistachio pesto and pistachio nut garnish may contain shells from nuts.
(allergens in bold and underlined)
Orecchiette: Durum Wheat Flour, Water
Pistachio Pesto: Pistachio Nuts (Nuts), Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Vegan Cheese: [Water, Starch, Modified Starch, Coconut Oil, Sea Salt, Rice Protein, Flavourings, Olive Extract, Colour: B-Carotene, Vitamin B12] , Basil, Garlic, Salt.
Pistachio Crumb: Pistachio Nuts (Nuts)
Please note: as our orecchiette are hand-crafted, they are very delicate. As a result, they may be prone to breakage. But don't worry - they're still just as delicious.
Download this week's recipe card, with cooking instructions & nutritional information, here.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to boil.
- Cook the orecchiette in the boiling water for 3-4 minutes until ‘al dente’ (test one of the orecchiette before removing from water).
- Whilst the pasta cooks, put the pistachio pesto in a pan. Add 1-2 tbsp (15-20ml) of the boiling cooking water, cover the pesto with a lid and heat until steaming. Once steaming, turn off the heat.
- Lift the orecchiette out of the water with a slotted spoon and transfer to the pesto. Toss gently together to coat.
- Sprinkle with the pistachio crumb. Buon appetito.
Orecchiette: 165g, 341kCal
Pistachio Pesto: 70g, 254kCal
Pistachio Crumb: 7g, 43kCal
Please note the above nutritional guidance is based on our estimates only.