As the name may infer, this sumptuous vegetarian pesto hails from the sun-drenched Calabria, the ‘tip’ of Italy’s boot. Here, sweet red peppers and fiery chillies grow abundantly from the scorched earth, the unrelenting heat rendering particularly flavoursome crops.
Revered for its spicy, yet slightly smoky taste, the Calabrian chilli is tempered by creamy and cooling ricotta cheese, as well as fragrant basil. Unlike most of the famous cheeses consumed across the peninsula, ricotta is suitable for vegetarians, formed from the sweet and mild whey byproduct of traditional cheese making.
This week, we've serve our Calabrian pesto with fresh malloreddus pasta and beautiful sun-dried tomatoes, both products associated with the Italian south. The preparation of malloreddus is a traditional process, which involves cutting the pasta dough into cubes, before pressing them against a ciuliri (a sieve or riddle traditionally made of straw). This process provides the malloreddus with their signature ridged shape, perfect for picking up every last morsel of pesto.
Note: Please consume or freeze our pasta and sauces within 2 days of delivery.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Salt the water (around ½tbsp per litre).
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent sticking.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, finely dice the semi-dried tomatoes on a chopping board before placing them in a large bowl with the pesto. Take care to ensure you squeeze all the sauce from the pouch. Add 2 tbsp (30ml) of the boiling cooking water to the pesto and mix together.
- Once cooked, transfer the pasta to the pesto. Toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle over the Italian cheese. Serve immediately. Buon appetito!
Allergens in BOLD & CAPITALISED:
Durum WHEAT Semola, WHEAT Flour, EGG, Rice Flour
Red Bell Pepper (25%), Onion, Vegetarian Hard Cheese (MILK, Salt, Vegetarian Rennet), Ricotta (Pasteurised Cow's MILK, Cream (MILK), Salt, Acidity Regulator; Lactic Acid), Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Garlic, Red Chillies, Salt, Black Pepper
Tomatoes, Sunflower Oil, Water, Wine Vinegar, Sea Salt, Sugar, Oregano, Garlic, Preservative E202
MILK, Salt, Rennet (Microbial Coagulant), EGG Lysozyme
In addition to the recipe-specific allergen information provided, Pasta Evangelists handles all 14 allergens prescribed in legislation. Whilst we have implemented and maintain safety practices and take all reasonable precautions to prevent cross-contamination, we cannot guarantee that our products will not contain traces of these allergens.
Calories per serving: 757kcal
Following nutritional information is per 100g:
- Energy 1079kJ
- Calories 259kcal
- Fat 7.4g
- Of which saturates 2.5g
- Carbohydrates 36.6g
- Of which sugars 5.4g
- Protein 10.7g
- Salt 0.6g