Cavolo nero (“black cabbage”) pesto is a typical winter condiment present in any respectable Tuscan kitchen. This type of kale grows mainly in the central regions of Italy and this unique sauce is prepared using the crispy looking tasty vegetable as a base together with pine nuts, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, vegetarian cheese and a pinch of salt. Cavolo nero is used in many other recipes and has earned its place in the realm of pestos owing to its wonderful colour and health-giving properties (amongst other things, cavolo nero has been hailed by scientists for lowering bad cholesterol levels).
This fabulously green pesto is served with our fresh, gluten free gnocchi dumplings. Gnocchi have a long and esteemed history in Italian cuisine, dating all the way back to Ancient Roman times. Although, in those days, before the arrival of the potato from the New World, they were usually made with a combination of flour and bread crumbs.
Note: Please consume or freeze our pasta and sauces within 2 days of delivery.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Salt the water (around ½tbsp per litre).
- Remove the gluten free gnocchi from the brown bag and cook in the boiling water for 1-2 minutes until slightly softened yet maintaining their form.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, put the pesto in a large bowl. Take care to ensure you squeeze all the sauce from the pouch. Add 2 tbsp (30ml) of the boiling cooking water to the pesto and mix together.
- Once cooked, transfer the gnocchi to the pesto. Toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle over the Italian cheese. Serve immediately. Buon appetito!
Allergens in BOLD & CAPITALISED:
Potato Flakes, Rice Flour, Water, Guar Gum, Salt
Cavolo Nero (45%), Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Water, Pine Kernels, Vegetarian Hard Cheese (MILK, Salt, Vegetarian Rennet), Salt, Garlic
MILK, Salt, Rennet (Microbial Coagulant), EGG Lysozyme
In addition to the recipe-specific allergen information provided, Pasta Evangelists handles all 14 allergens prescribed in legislation. Whilst we have implemented and maintain safety practices and take all reasonable precautions to prevent cross-contamination, we cannot guarantee that our products will not contain traces of these allergens.
Calories per serving:632kcal
Following nutritional information is per 100g:
- Energy 947kJ
- Calories 228kcal
- Fat 9.5g
- Of which saturates 2.3g
- Carbohydrates 29.2g
- Of which sugars 0.5g
- Protein 5.8g
- Salt 1.0g
Find this week's recipe cards, complete with cooking methods, in our handy Recipes Archive .