The original recipe for Ragù was invented and published in the 18th century by Alberto Alvisi, who was the chef for the Cardinal of Imola, later Pope Pio VII. Alvisi’s recipe was documented as “The Cardinal’s Ragù”, but was not rediscovered for another 180 years, when Bolognese journalists stumbled across the recipe in archives. Alvisi’s recipe included exotic spices like cinnamon, which was quite inventive for the age. Indeed, using cinnamon in ragù would be quite unexpected in modern day Italy, where it is now widely preferred to allow the flavour of the meat to shine through alongside aromatics like red wine, bay and fresh herbs.
And so, in a recipe inspired by, but not in slavish adherence to Alvisi’s predilection for spice, our chefs carefully brown pieces of marbled beef until they take on a deep, burnished hue. This is where all the flavour is. We then slowly braise our caramelised beef with red wine, onions & tomatoes to make the meat as tender and flavourful as possible. This very special ragù is served with fresh, gluten free gnocchi dumplings. Buon appetito.
Note: Please consume or freeze our pasta and sauces within 2 days of delivery.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Salt the water (around 1tbsp per litre). The pasta won't absorb it all, but it's important the water is “as salty as the Mediterranean” for maximum flavour.
- Remove the gluten free gnocchi from the brown bag and cook in the boiling water for 1-2 minutes until slightly softened yet maintaining their form.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, put the sauce in a pan and add 2tbsp (30ml) of the boiling pasta cooking water. Take care to ensure you squeeze all the sauce from the pouch. Gently heat until steaming and then turn off the heat.
- Once cooked, transfer the pasta to the sauce. Toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle over the Italian cheese. Serve immediately. Buon appetito!
Allergens in BOLD & CAPITALISED:
Flour Blend (White Rice, Brown Rice, Potato Starch, Tapioca Starch, Buckwheat, Maize, Sorghum, White Teff, Xanthan Gum), Water, Sunflower Oil, Turmeric Powder
Tomatoes, Diced Beef Shin (Origin: Republic of Ireland) (27%), Onion, Carrot, CELERY, Barolo Wine (SULPHITES), Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Salt, Garlic, Beef Stock (contains CELERY Seeds), Sugar, Thyme, Bay Leaf, Black Pepper
MILK, Salt, Rennet (Microbial Coagulant), EGG Lysozyme
Calories per serving: 524kcal
Following nutritional information is per 100g:
- Energy 565kJ
- Calories 135kcal
- Fat 2.1g
- Of which saturates 1.0g
- Carbohydrates 22.0g
- Of which sugars 1.7g
- Protein 6.6g
- Salt 0.9g
Find this week's recipe cards, complete with cooking methods, in our handy Recipes Archive .