Since the arrival of tomatoes from South America in the sixteenth century, Italians have formed an enduring love affair with the fruit, which they christened the “pomodoro”, or “golden apple”. Today, hundreds of varieties are native to Italy, from Sicily’s pomodoro di Pachino to the pomodoro di San Marzano, grown in the volcanic soils of Mountain Vesuvius. Italians love to visit local markets in search of the best specimens, touching and smelling the fruit as they go. Often, they return to their homes with a glut of tomatoes to be used as the base of fresh sauces.
This week's datterini tomatoes we use to create this special sauce come from the island of Sicily, like their sibling from Pachino. There, in the abundant sunshine, they take on a beautiful, blushing colour and are full of fragrance. Literally meaning “dates”, datterini tomatoes, like dates, are known for their exceptional sweetness. By slow-roasting and pairing with fresh basil and extra virgin olive oil, this natural sweetness is showcased.
Note: Please consume or freeze our pasta and sauces within 2 days of delivery.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Salt the water (around ½tbsp per litre).
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent sticking.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, put the sauce in a pan and add 1tbsp (15ml) of the boiling pasta cooking water. Take care to ensure you squeeze all the sauce from the pouch. Gently heat until steaming and then turn off the heat.
- Once cooked, transfer the pasta to the sauce. Toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle over the Italian cheese. Serve immediately. Buon appetito!
Allergens in BOLD & CAPITALISED:
Flour Blend (White Rice, Brown Rice, Potato Starch, Tapioca Starch, Buckwheat, Maize, Sorghum, White Teff, Xanthan Gum), Water, Sunflower Oil, Turmeric Powder
Tomatoes, Datterini Tomatoes (39%), Onion, Carrot, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Salt, Garlic, Basil, Sugar, Black Pepper
MILK, Salt, Rennet (Microbial Coagulant), EGG Lysozyme
In addition to the recipe-specific allergen information provided, Pasta Evangelists handles all 14 allergens prescribed in legislation. Whilst we have implemented and maintain safety practices and take all reasonable precautions to prevent cross-contamination, we cannot guarantee that our products will not contain traces of these allergens.
Calories per serving: 548kcal
Following nutritional information is per 100g:
- Energy 694kJ
- Calories 166kcal
- Fat 1.7g
- Of which saturates 0.2g
- Carbohydrates 31.3
- Of which sugars 2.2g
- Protein 5.7g
- Salt 0.14g
Find this week's recipe cards, complete with cooking methods, in our handy Recipes Archive .