In Sardinia, an Italian island of the Mediterranean, you can ask any passerby - albeit in Sardu, the local language - what the secret to the island’s special ragù is. Invariably, should you understand the vernacular, they will tell you that the perfect ragù alla Campidanese (named after the island’s Campidano region) relies not on elaborate preparation but the use of as few ingredients as possible. Each, however, must be exquisite. And it’s this stripped-back list of ingredients that makes this dish so special.
Whilst the secrets of our butchers’ iconic salsiccia will remain so, we can reveal that we cook the sausage meat with a simple combination of the very best tomatoes, fennel seeds, onion and seasoning. And that’s it. But don’t let the simplicity of its preparation belie its exceptionally meaty flavour. This week, we serve with fresh, gluten free gnocchi dumplings, whose rustic character pairs so well with this comforting ragù.
Note: Please consume or freeze our pasta and sauces within 2 days of delivery.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Salt the water (around ½tbsp per litre).
- Remove the gluten free gnocchi from the brown bag and cook in the boiling water for 1-2 minutes until slightly softened yet maintaining their form.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, put the sauce in a pan and add 2tbsp (30ml) of the boiling pasta cooking water. Take care to ensure you squeeze all the sauce from the pouch. Gently heat until steaming and then turn off the heat.
- Once cooked, transfer the pasta to the sauce. Toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle over the Italian cheese. Serve immediately. Buon appetito!
Allergens in BOLD & CAPITALISED:
Potato Flakes, Rice Flour, Water, Guar Gum, Salt
Tomatoes, Pork Sausage (Pork (Origin: UK), Salt, White Wine (SULPHITES)) (27%), Water, Onion, Carrots, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Salt, Garlic, Sugar, Fennel Seeds, Chicken Stock (contains CELERY Seeds), Black Pepper
MILK, Salt, Rennet (Microbial Coagulant), EGG Lysozyme
In addition to the recipe-specific allergen information provided, Pasta Evangelists handles all 14 allergens prescribed in legislation. Whilst we have implemented and maintain safety practices and take all reasonable precautions to prevent cross-contamination, we cannot guarantee that our products will not contain traces of these allergens.
Calories per serving: 692kcal
Following nutritional information is per 100g:
- Energy 786kJ
- Calories 188kcal
- Fat 8.3g
- Of which saturates 2.7g
- Carbohydrates 22.6g
- Of which sugars 2.2g
- Protein 5.5g
- Salt 1.5g
Find this week's recipe cards, complete with cooking methods, in our handy Recipes Archive .