This fresh take on the classic carbonara is sure to delight both vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. Instead of using the traditional guanciale or pancetta in this carbonara, we substitute pieces of gently browned courgette. Their fresh and subtly sweet flavour adds depth to this dish and helps to balance out the gloriously creamy carbonara.
For the pasta, we selected bucatini. The word “bucatini” comes from the Italian word “buco”, which translates to “hole”, a reference to its hollow shape. And while long, tangled strands of bucatini prove deft at capturing the creamy carbonara sauce, the pasta’s unique shape was actually born out of practicality. Ancient pastai (pasta makers) who encountered difficulty when cooking dried pasta with consistency sought to invent a novel solution to their problem. The pastai settled on a new method, which saw dough rolled around a thin rod (known as a ‘ferretto’), to produce a long strand of hollow pasta. The resulting “buco” in the centre of each bucatino helped to prevent inconsistencies in cooking, but also distinguished this shape from others, securing its popularity in Italian - and particularly Roman - cuisine.
Note: Please consume or freeze our pasta and sauces within 2 days of delivery.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Salt the water (around ½tbsp per litre).
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent sticking.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, pan-fry the courgette on a medium heat. Once crispy, turn the heat to very low and take the pan off the heat. Allow the pan to rest for 1-2 minutes before returning to the heat & adding the sauce. Take care to ensure you squeeze all the sauce from the pouch. Once added, return to the heat and warm through over the low heat. When the sauce is steaming, turn off the heat.
- Once cooked, transfer the pasta to the sauce. Toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle over the Italian cheese. Serve immediately. Buon appetito!
Allergens in BOLD & CAPITALISED:
Durum WHEAT Semola, WHEAT Flour, EGG, Rice Flour
Single Cream (MILK), Italian Grated Cheese (MILK, Salt, Vegetarian Rennet), Pasteurised EGG Yolk, Water, Black Pepper, Turmeric
Courgette, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Salt, Black Pepper
MILK, Salt, Rennet (Microbial Coagulant), EGG Lysozyme
In addition to the recipe-specific allergen information provided, Pasta Evangelists handles all 14 allergens prescribed in legislation. Whilst we have implemented and maintain safety practices and take all reasonable precautions to prevent cross-contamination, we cannot guarantee that our products will not contain traces of these allergens.
Calories per serving: 894kcal
Following nutritional information is per 100g:
- Energy 1042kJ
- Calories 250kcal
- Fat 10.1g
- Of which saturates 5.2g
- Carbohydrates 28.9g
- Of which sugars 2.4g
- Protein 10.6g
- Salt 0.22g
Find this week's recipe cards, complete with cooking methods, in our handy Recipes Archive .