Funghi are an indubitable focal point of Italian cuisine, particularly in northern regions like Piedmont, where countless hours are spent by locals each year in pursuit of prized varieties like the porcino (‘piglet’) mushroom. When preparing our pasta salad collection for this summer, it would therefore have been remiss of us not to feature the mushroom in some way, and we hope you’ll agree this dish does it justice.
Whilst mushrooms have been consumed on the Italian Peninsula for millennia, some of the other elements we’re showcasing in this dish, designed for al fresco eating, are more recent imports. The buckwheat blend we prepare this penne with, for example, is often associated with Eastern Europe (and by happy coincidence is entirely gluten free). The tahini sauce, meanwhile, is a staple of the Levant, where it is widely used to dress salads, but also dishes like falafel, which can be found on every street corner in countries of the Middle East from Damascus to Tel Aviv. The subtle nuttiness of the buckwheat-based pasta works well with the tahini sauce, which is made with sesame seeds and fresh lemon. We encourage you to enjoy this healthy and refreshing pasta salad in the full beam of the summer sun.
Note: Please consume or freeze our pasta and sauces within 2 days of delivery.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Salt the water (around ½tbsp per litre).
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water for 2 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent sticking. Drain the pasta.
- Drizzle the drained pasta with olive oil and allow the pasta to cool. If you don’t have any olive oil, simply add a tablespoon of water to keep the pasta moist.
- Put the tahini sauce into a large bowl, add 2tbsp of water and stir vigorously, to loosen. You are looking for a velvety smooth consistency that can be drizzled. Add the mushrooms to the tahini sauce.
- Shake any excess water off the pasta and combine in a large bowl with the grilled mushrooms and tahini sauce.
- Enjoy immediately or refrigerate and enjoy later as part of an al fresco dinner or picnic.
Allergens in BOLD & CAPITALISED:
Buckwheat Flour, Maize Flour, Potato Starch, Water, Sorghum Flour, Sunflower Oil, Tapioca Starch, White Rice Flour, Xanthan Gum
Chestnut & Shiitake Mushrooms, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Thyme, Garlic, Maple Syrup, Lemon, Chilli, Dill, Parsley
Chickpeas, Garlic, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Tahini (SESAME), Lemon Juice, Salt, Pepper
In addition to the recipe-specific allergen information provided, Pasta Evangelists handles all 14 allergens prescribed in legislation. Whilst we have implemented and maintain safety practices and take all reasonable precautions to prevent cross-contamination, we cannot guarantee that our products will not contain traces of these allergens.
Calories per serving: 921kcal
Following nutritional information is per 100g:
- Energy 1052kJ
- Calories 252kcal
- Fat 8.4g
- Of which saturates 1.1g
- Carbohydrates 38.9g
- Of which sugars 1.4g
- Protein 5.5g
- Salt 0.20g