Now very much a favourite amongst the Pasta Evangelists community – and somewhat of a signature dish – this hedonistic Roman classic is thought to have its name derived from when charcoal burners were used to cook the dish over campfires. For this gluten free dish, we honour tradition, pairing our gloriously creamy carbonara with tangles of fresh spaghetti – which sop up this luxuriant sauce.
That being said, we do enjoy the odd deviation from tradition when preparing our decadent carbonara; we use pancetta instead of guanciale in our sauce, because it imparts a deep, salty intensity that pairs with the richness of the egg yolk and cream. We finish our carbonara with freshly ground black pepper and generous shavings of Italian cheese. Be transported to the ‘Eternal City’ by this classic dish with a distinctively premium twist.
Note: Please consume or freeze our pasta and sauces within 2 days of delivery.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Salt the water (around ½tbsp per litre).
- Remove the gluten free pasta from the brown bag & cook in the boiling water for 2 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent sticking.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, pan-fry the pancetta on a medium-high heat. Once crispy, turn the heat to very low and take the pan off the heat. Allow the pan to rest for 1-2 minutes before returning to the heat & adding the sauce. Take care to ensure you squeeze all the sauce from the pouch. Once added, return to the heat and warm through over the low heat. When the sauce is steaming, turn off the heat.
- Lift the pasta out of the water and transfer to the sauce. Toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle over the Italian cheese. Serve immediately. Buon appetito!
Allergens in BOLD & CAPITALISED:
Flour Blend (White Rice, Brown Rice, Potato Starch, Tapioca Starch, Buckwheat, Maize, Sorghum, White Teff, Xanthan Gum), Water, Sunflower Oil, Turmeric Powder
Single Cream (MILK), Grana Padano Cheese (MILK, Salt, Rennet, EGG Lysozyme), EGG Yolk (17%), Water, Salt, Black Pepper, Turmeric
Pork (Origin: Italy) (97%), Salt, Dextrose, White Pepper, Flavouring, Antioxidant: Sodium Ascorbate, Preservatives: Potassium Nitrate, Sodium Nitrite
MILK, Salt, Rennet (Microbial Coagulant), EGG Lysozyme
In addition to the recipe-specific allergen information provided, Pasta Evangelists handles all 14 allergens prescribed in legislation. Whilst we have implemented and maintain safety practices and take all reasonable precautions to prevent cross-contamination, we cannot guarantee that our products will not contain traces of these allergens.
Calories per serving: 881kcal
Following nutritional information is per 100g:
- Energy 1025kJ
- Calories 246kcal
- Fat 14.6g
- Of which saturates 6.8g
- Carbohydrates 13.7g
- Of which sugars 1.5g
- Protein 14.1g
- Salt 1.3g
Find this week's recipe cards, complete with cooking methods, in our handy Recipes Archive .