Ah... pomodoro e basilico. These two ingredients – two of Italy's finest – come together to create something sublime. If you have ever enjoyed a fresh caprese salad (whether in the Capri sun or not), you will have noticed that the combination of tomato and fresh basil – known appropriately as the 'king of herbs’ – is a beautiful one, despite its near-rustic simplicity.
Indeed, it's this simplicity that underpins la cucina italiana and all its secrets; rather than relying on elaborate preparation and an extensive list of ingredients, Italian food emphasises a small number of ingredients. Each, however, should be of exceptional quality, for there is no place to hide. This dish is one such example.
Our fresh tomato and basil sauce is just that: exceptionally fresh and made with the best pomodori, namely the San Marzano variety, grown in the nutrient-rich soil of Mount Vesuvius. Exquisitely fragrant, fresh basilico is chopped and added to the sauce whilst cooking, as is a small amount of mascarpone cheese, teasing out the taste of the tomatoes and giving the sauce a beautiful orange hue. Serve with a scattering of formaggio and delight in this classic dish.
Note: Please consume or freeze our pasta and sauces within 2 days of delivery.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Salt the water (around ½tbsp per litre). The pasta won't absorb it all, but it's important the water is “as salty as the Mediterranean” for maximum flavour.
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent sticking.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, put the sauce in a pan and add 1tbsp (15ml) of the boiling pasta cooking water. Take care to ensure you squeeze all the sauce from the pouch. Gently heat until steaming and then turn off the heat.
- Lift the pasta out of the water and transfer to the sauce. Toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle over the Italian cheese. Serve immediately. Buon appetito!
Allergens in BOLD & CAPITALISED:
Durum WHEAT Semola, WHEAT Flour, EGG, Water, Rice Flour
Tomatoes including Datterini (72%), Mascarpone Cheese (Pasteurised Cow's MILK, Cream (MILK), Salt, Acidity Regulator; Citric Acid) (8.2%), Water, Onion, Carrot, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Basil (0.3%), Salt, Garlic, Sugar, Black Pepper
MILK, Salt, Vegetarian Rennet, EGG Lysozyme
In addition to the recipe-specific allergen information provided, Pasta Evangelists handles all 14 allergens prescribed in legislation. Whilst we have implemented and maintain safety practices and take all reasonable precautions to prevent cross-contamination, we cannot guarantee that our products will not contain traces of these allergens.
Calories per serving: 756kcal
Following nutritional information is per 100g:
- Energy 907kJ
- Calories 217kcal
- Fat 7.5g
- Of which saturates 4.4g
- Carbohydrates 30.7g
- Of which sugars 3.4g
- Protein 6.5g
- Salt 0.14g